Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Now among the missing



This tape was consumed by the tape deck in my car. It is a drag as I really miss this tape. I made it of all records (yes!) made in 1988 that I owned at the time. Ever since I had a turntable and a tape deck, I was making mix tapes for myself. I would make them for friends as well, and foist them upon them like fruitcake at the holidays. I think with my goofy music selection, people would not know what to really make of them. I enjoyed them, and I realized to not dump them on people as much as enjoy them for what they are. It's probably why I enjoyed doing radio shows - ladling out large chunks of music which moved me at that moment.

Now I make CDs for myself. Always audio CDs - an hour or so. Shorter than the tapes. But the worst thing? They don't last as long. That tape was made in 1989, which meant it made the move from MD to CA and then to WV, and probably rode in 3-4 cars, and lived on several tape decks. It always sounded just fine. Now I burn a CD and I have to be careful or in 2 weeks in the car it's scratched and trashed. Did we really move forward?

4 comments:

darth said...

argh..that sounds like a great mix...i've never been a big fan of the CD, actually-just never warmed to the format for some reason, not for any audiophile quality reasons, just..well, not sure...i never bought the whole hype at the time..-i actually feel like i jumped from vinyl/tapes directly to MP3, kinda bypassing the whole CD craze completely..

MoonshineMike said...

i've bought lots of CDs, and have filled my collection via the used bins at many places like AMOEBA...but everytime I buy CDs I always buy some records.

What to do? Make CD mixes for folks? send people ipod shuffles as presents? if they were half priced it would work. I like the mix music thing, i'm big on it.

that tape had ups and downs, but in general it kicked ass.

darth said...

seriously..if i could get 256M iPod shuffles for $50, i'd send those suckers out like party favors.

MoonshineMike said...

why 256MB?

I looked at the yikes a radio I did on saturday and it was only 45 minutes, but my music (@192Kb) is like 50MB.

I say a 64MB device, maybe write once?
Hmm, 64MB EEPROMS aren't that expensive, and perhaps some way to pull them back off when done.

Give people an hour of music or so. Not much more. Something to take them out of their daily routine but not enough to make it a chore.